The knitting for Pepe's Accordion has been done for weeks. But it has been lingering, marinating in self-doubt. The Inner-Knitter kept saying that the sweater fronts looked really bad. Like needing-to-be-frogged bad. Like no amount of blocking would help. The stitches were stretched and uneven and there were lots and lots of endsas yet unwoven. It was ugly.
And on top of that, this sweater requires a zipper. So take messy cardigan fronts, add that to my terrible hand sewing, and you are going to have one ugly, amateur-ish sweater for my sweet son.
So I've been sort of sitting on these doubts for a couple of weeks, getting up the courage to tackle whatever it would take to finish this sweater. I read up on zipper installation (not so encouraging when Monste Stanley's instructions begin by suggesting that you avoid zippers) and reminded myself that I was not performing brain surgery. And on the knitters-high that was the lace shawl, I decided to just do it. Carefully, meticulously. I would do my best.
I banished the children from the house, turned on the iPod and basted the sweater fronts and the zipper.
The sweater fronts did look truly horrid.
So I picked up stitches along the edge, did a reverse stockinette rolly band on both fronts, a vast improvement for sure, and certainly preferable to frogging.
I began to start the process of zipper installation again, and then I realized my zipper was not a separating zipper. Wrong zipper! Argh!!!
I received the new zipper yesterday, so surely in the next week, I will have time to install it and totally destroy a great piece of knitwear with my horrific sewing.
But in the meantime, I did knit Pepe a matching hat. He likes it, but won't wear it for more than three minutes at a time.