Monday, March 03, 2008

Warming Up

It's taken me a bit of time (over a week) to get around to posting after our family trip up to see The BackBou's folks in the Mad River Valley. I love Vermont in the winter with the cold temperatures and deep snow (one morning I was up snowshoeing before 7am and it was -1 Fahrenheit!). This state was made for handknit socks. I can only handle it for so long however. I was ready to get home to my blooms in the garden and lighter jackets.

Just before our trip, I realized that I had no really warm hat for R. I dipped into my leftover bin and found tons of O-Wool Classic. Here's what I came up with (sorry the pictures of the hat really aren't very good) ...


Pattern: My own
Yarn: O-Wool Classic
Needles: US 7s
Notes: I made it way too big, tore it out, and made it just a bit too big. When we got home, I washed it and dried it. It shrunk up just perfectly and now it fits and it really, really warm.



These pictures aren't very good, you can't really see the pink stripe in the middle of the green nor the blue ear flaps. I'll try to get a better picture when the temps drop again this week.

It was fun to just put some yarn on the needles without any earthly idea about how it might turn out. Knitting without a pattern is so freeing sometimes. (And for this, I can thank Elizabeth Zimmerman. Reading The Opinionated Knitter has set me free.)

We are very busy these days making calls and sending off emails in order to finalize reservations and rail passes for our June trip to Norway. I've had to come to terms with the fact that this will in no way be a yarn vacation. There is really no wiggle room in our budget or in our luggage since we'll be carting everything on our backs from ferry to train. But maybe I'll be able to pick up some sock yarn or a cool pattern.

Speaking of socks ...

I finished Socks for Veronik on the ride up to Vermont (somewhere around the Merritt Parkway).


Pattern: Socks for Veronik by Mona Schmidt
Yarn: Spirit Trail Fiberworks 100% superwash Merino
Needles: US 1s
Notes: Loved the pattern. Loved the yarn. I've washed and worn these 4 times in the past 2 weeks. I would wear them everyday if I could. I will most certainly buy more of this yarn at MDSW.

And now, back to travel plans and enjoying the gorgeous 70 degree day ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

dang, your daffodils are blooming!

mine have barely poked their heads outta the dirt.

looks like everyone had a good time in vermont!

margene said...

Cute hat! Fun trip. Cute kids! Love the socks, too. It's going to be awhile before we see flowers!

Sally said...

Love the hat, and it looks like the girls had fun!

I want my daffodils to bloom! (I live next door to anne marie in philly, and we are both quite impatient.)

Anonymous said...

How fun! Cute hat!

Suzanne said...

The girls are having an AWFUL time--how dare you dress them in handknits and take them on a snow vacation!

Those socks are lovely--but even better in person! Glad you finished them!

About yarn shopping in Norway...you can always mail your prizes home to yourself. Yarn is kinda light, and if it is really special yarn it would make a fantastic souvenir. So don't say no yet!

Liz K. said...

It is always a pleasure to see the smiling faces of your girls! And the daffodils????? We're weeks away still.

MandellaUK said...

Gosh, but that looks cold! And there is always the post when you visit Norway you know. I've lost count of the number of packages I've mailed to myself from Florida.