Friday, September 28, 2007

FO Updates and a Clapotis Confession

Now that the BackBou has returned from his trip to Chicago (he loved the conference on Credit Bureau reporting -- he's sweet, but such a geek!), I have a more time to manage to blog. Thank you everyone for your incredible comments on the lace scarf!

Here are some of my recently finished objects ...


Pattern: Elisa's Nest Tote
Yarn: #6 AllHemp 6 DK Weight
Needles: US 9s and US 3s



Modifications: I used Liz's suggested mods listed here. I know I'm not the world's fastest knitter, or even in the top 50% percentile of fast knitters, but this did not take me the "few hours" to knit that the pattern describes. I finished this up during the last of the pool days before the start of school. It is N's bag at school for extra clothes, painting clothes, etc.




Pattern: Saartje's Booties (the pattern is a pdf on the sidebar here)
Yarn: Cashsoft DK in unknown pink and purple colors
Needles: I think US6s, it's hard to remember
Modifications: None. These were super fast and my girls picked out the buttons at The Yarn Lounge, aren't they great? They were for one the many new babies on our block.




I am currently working on Trellis in Lamb's Pride Cotton Fleece for another of the new babies on the block. Baby knitting is just so much fun!!

And now for the Clapotis Confession ...
After seeing Liz's incredible Clapotis, I was determined to make one of my own. So I signed up for the Second Wave Clapotis KAL (which began on the 23rd) and started my search for yarn. Well, I had a cost constraint (all the gift knitting is maxing out the budget) and didn't want to spend over $40 bucks on yarn. I found this gorgeous Malabrigo and thought it would work (and it was just a bit over $40 ...).

Well, I swatched and thought that I could pull it off. I was warned, but believed that it could somehow work. Then as I was knitting, it became clear that I had been delusional about using this yarn for a Clapotis. The drape was just not good. It's just not the right yarn.

But I loved the yarn. It's colors, it's softness. I loved the yarn more than the pattern. And so ...

I dumped the Clapotis. I'm keeping the yarn. I can't give it up. The yarn is going to become a number of hats, beginning with this Coronet, for Christmas presents.




My only regret is not being part of this wonderful and fun KAL -- Bridget, thank you for hosting and sorry for my lack of committment! As for the Clapotis, I know it will always be there for me when I am ready to pick up the pattern again ...

8 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh I love your finished projects - and the picture of your daughter with the bag around her face is a real keeper!

FWIW, I have my yarn for the Clapotis ... but have not actually cast on. I am hoping to get to that this weekend. But you are right, the sucker takes a LOT of yarn. Fortunately, I found some in my stash (so what if I almost forgot about it altogether? It all worked out in end ...).

Let me know if you like the Coronet. I've been kinda itching to try that one.

Anonymous said...

lerve the booties!

Susan said...

I have a confession. . . I've knitted three Clapotis (so far) and I bought Malabrigo to knit a fourth. Two of mine were in the yarn recommended for the pattern (I know it's Lorna's Laces, can't remember which yarn.) and one was in Noro Silk Garden. I'm feeling a little apprehensive about the Malabrigo now. . . but it's good to know that so I can make an informed decision rather than giving up in frustration when it doesn't work out like I want.

Virtuous said...

Your Saartje's Booties are stinking cute!!

I did them as a KAL on Ravelry earlier this month.

Anonymous said...

Such cute projects you have going! No worries about the clapotis - the malabrigo is gorgeous and will look fantastic as coronet and other projects!

Anonymous said...

Cute knits! I think the key to the Clapotis is finding the perfect yarn for it. At least you figured out you didn't like the drape before knitting too much of it!

Octopus Knits said...

The tote and little booties are great!

I used a yarn that feels very similar to Malabrigo for my Clapotis (Lanas Puras Melosa - also a super soft single ply merino) though I used a fingering weight version. It was a little more work to drop the stitches. I helped myself out with a crochet hook - that I frequently used to rip through the clinging fibers (don't worry, I never ripped through my yarn on accident).

I thought it was well worth it.
(Just my two cents) : )

Of course, the Malabrigo will also be lovely worked up into hats!

Liz K. said...

Yeah, you're right. Malabrigo is just not right for the Clapotis. It think that single-ply yarns are not quite right. You'll want something smoother, silkier....

I miss N!