Saturday, August 26, 2006

Project Pepe

My Pepe has been given short shrift 'round here at XRK, on the blog and in the knitting department in general. It is so easy to make little knits for Rosebud with my leftovers. And the yarns that I find myself attracted to are usually desperately girly colors. And Pepe seemed to grow an inch a month for the last year. So he was not the recipient of the knitterly love. I have, at this point, made a few knitted items for him: the occasional baby hat, the cabled sweater (that he didn't wear home from the hospital as it was too big, and a wonderfully warm day in May), an intarsia sweater or two, but all of these items pre-date the blog.

But that is all about to change. It is time to institute Project Pepe!

First, let me begin by following Mama-E's lead by telling you 10 things about my incredible little boy:

1. He wakes up laughing every day happy. He is the single happiest human being I have ever had the pleasure of being around.

2. He was the easiest baby in the entire world. Slept all the time. In fact, when he was about 6 weeks old, someone asked me who he favored, me or his father. I told them that I didn't know, as I had never seen him with his eyes open.

3. The best way to get a kiss from Pepe is to tell him how gross and disgusting his kisses are. "Please please please whatever you do, DON'T. KISS. ME."

4. This is how much he loves his Softie.
5. His first word was "burp."

6. He loves music, and often comments, "Mom, this song is great," whether its the Buzzcocks, the Clash, or Jack Johnson. He once told me his favorite part of "Young Americans" was the part where they say, "All night! I love dat part!"

7. He has a special theme song for just the two of us, when we have Mother-Son adventures. He came up with this all on his own.

8. He prefers guys over women, and is decidedly not a Mama's boy. When he cries, he wants Mr. S. He prefers fathers, grandfathers and uncles over moms, grandmas and aunts, but his best friend in the world is his big sister.

9. When he appears to be having a full-on tantrum, it takes three words to get him out of it instantly. "I'll race ya!"

10. He loves dinosaurs. Playing with them, reading about them, thinking and learning about them. If you ask him if he likes anything besides dinosaurs, he thinks and says, "No. Just dinosaurs."

So here is his newest dinosaur:


This is Leptologist (Pepe's name) Bronty, which was knitted using leftover Plymouth Encore from the previously mentioned intarsia sweater I made Pepe when he was a baby. You will see more from that blue Encore later in the week, when I finish seaming a Trellis for a friend's newborn baby boy, and likely more of these knitted dinosaurs as well. More marinating stash busted for this last week of Summer of Stash!

Pepe is also getting a sweater this Fall. It is in process as we speak. More on Project Pepe later in the week.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a sweet post!

Jamie C. said...

Sounds like a great project and it looks like you are off to a great start! I love the dino!

Anonymous said...

awww....How sweet!

Anonymous said...

delightful kiddo, delightful dino. nice job!

Sally said...

Pepe is such a sugarplum. I love your kids. Knit on.

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a joy!

But that Softie - it doesn't look like its got many years left in it.

Maybe put that on your list, too!

Ann said...

It was such a treat to hang with the little dude (and dudette!)for a few days! They are just incredible kids. Pepe is his own man and a great one at that!

I can't wait to see how Project Pepe progresses ... I may even have to plan an object to send along ...

Annie said...

What a lucky mom to have such a cool kid! Love the dinosaur, can't wait to see Trellis, too. BTW - I did not do the tubular cast-on! I totally cheated and skipped it. I still did the first two rows as written, but I think it was pointless. I just couldn't be bothered with trying a tubular cast-on. ;-)

Marnie said...

hooray for project pepe! make him bean bags. lots and lots of bean bags. white beans are the best for beany-inners. the three year old in this house uses them for cars, beds for small imaginary happy woozles (for which i have had to make countless blankets. finally something to do with gauge swatches), books (she's always handing me one saying "read this one to me")... they're fast, easy, and use up loads of scraps. and they can even be girly-colored. who cares? it's a bean bag.

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you -- your Pepe for my 2 1/2 year old. He sounds so sweet, and I've got the kid who pulls his pants down when he sees a girl he likes. (He did not learn that at home!) Just to entice Pepe, I offer the fact that I took my kids to see The Wiggles last week. . .