Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Next Generation

Both of my children knit.  I am not entirely responsible for this, my at-home influence is fortified by their school experience - they attend a Waldorf school where handwork is part of the curriculum for every grade.  In fact, I didn't even teach my oldest to knit, that duty fell to my dear friend, Martha, who has infinitely more patience than I.  

My  youngest putting the finishing touches on a crocheted purse for her American Girl doll.

I love to see the girls sizing up projects or just impulsively picking up the needles and knitting.  They appreciate a well-written pattern (with good pictures) and, at ages 6 and 9, can browse in a yarn store with the most hardened yarn addict.

N browsing intently in a yarn store in Bergen, Norway.

I already have summer projects waiting for them.  It may take them until next summer to finish, but they are excited and motivated.  



Am I selfish to feel pride when my children thrill to the same experiences as I do?  Would I feel the same sense of satisfaction if they picked up fishing or pottery?  I choose to think that I would.  However, the truth is that I am thrilled to have a shared interest and hobby so that, every now and then, I can escape from that constant supervisor/manager/disciplinarian role and become a knitting buddy.  A friend.

8 comments:

Robin said...

I think it's wonderful that you all have a shared interest. Kudos to the Waldorf School for fostering "do-it-yourself" in children. WOW! Look at all those buttons in that picture!!!!

HPNY KNITS said...

that expression- priceless!!!!!!
:-)

LaurieM said...

You are very fortunate. I love my boys and we are friendly and affectionate but we don't have shared interests.

Marissa said...

I think that's incredible! I wish I had learned to knit at that young an age, and that I could have shared that bond with my Mother. How wonderful!

Bridget said...

How cool! I think it's great that they not only have learned how to knit, but that they enjoy it. How nice if you get to spend time together doing something that all of you are really interested. I hope we get to see their finished projects.

tiennie said...

I think it's great that you all have a shared interest! I would feel proud too!

jane said...

I'm so jealous...I can't get my daughter interested and now that she's 29...it may be too late!

Maggi said...

I want to make those mice!