Monday, October 15, 2007

Opinions, Please

Many recent designs in both knitwear and in RTW clothing features empire styling, but it is a tricky look to pull off if that seam is not in just the right place. Especially in knitwear, you'll see a seam right across the middle of the bustline, or worse, at the underboob area (Lotus Blossom Tank and Mirepoix Bodice, I'm looking at you).

The Tree Jacket
is not an empire style, but it does have a tricky transitional part around the bust area where you switch from the garter yoke to the eyelet body. From looking at various FOs in Ravelry, I have come to understand that the key to flattering fit for this sweater is all about where that line between the garter and the stockinette lands. I think it looks best when the line is right at the top of the bustline, but I've also noticed that look is a bit more difficult to achieve on a more full-busted gal like me.

So, my honest and talented readers, forgive me the crappy bathroom mirror shot, and cast a critical eye at my bosoms. Did I get it right?

Your honest opinion, please, before I proceed. I'm just not sure if I needed to switch to the eyelet section a bit sooner. It seems like a lot of ripping for maybe two or three garter ridges, but I am prepared to do so.

Because you know, what is the point of wearing a sweater if it doesn't flatter your boobs.

PS -- I was going to call this post "Let's Talk about My Boobs" but I couldn't imagine the hits we'd get from the RVA aggregator...

18 comments:

Ashley said...

Honest opinion? Rip and start the eyelet sooner. Bonus: it'll make your torso look longer & you look taller. If you care about that sort of thing. GET OUT OF MY HEAD, STACY AND CLINTON!

Peacock Chic said...

I would have to agree. Starting it a little sooner would be good.

Ann said...

Unfortunately, even I agree that you should rip and start the eyelet sooner. Which is saying something since I am one of those wacky people that believes that the point of a sweater is to keep you warm and I almost never think about how things flatter my boobs. Hmm. I guess it shows ...

Anonymous said...

I like the underboob thing but I agree with everyone else. I think it would look better if you rip and start earlier. Could you cut and graft so that you don't lose the work you've done?

Sally said...

I'm going to go ahead and agree with everyone else. Gotta make the girls look their best, n'est-ce pas?

Kristy said...

You knew that you needed to fix it, and you just wanted some confirmation, I take it? Tiennie had a good idea-- you might try grafting it instead of redoing all of it.

Christy said...

You never want to say rip...but I do think that it would look better if the garter stopped at least 3 garter ridges higher.

DAWN said...

I am in agreement with the others. Three or four rows higher would "hit the spot".

Sarah said...

Yep, I totally concur. Start the eyelet a smidge sooner.

Anonymous said...

I think you should definitely start sooner. I sat and stared for a while to try and figure out exactly what it was that makes it just not right, and it'll sound harsh, but I think that the transition as it is now, makes the "girls" look like they're a bit "low" if you get my drift.
And I have this on my queue as well, so now I'll know what I'm up against.

Lindy said...

Well at this point this sounds redundant, but you should start the eyelet portion sooner. The garter section is just a bit too long and it isn't as flattering as it could be.

Mim said...

4 to 6 rows earlier would look better, IMHO. I feel the need to apologize. I just hate to see you rip all that work out, but I would if it was me.

Wendy said...

Honestly, it's hard to say - I would have to see a picture of you standing up straight - there's seems to be a crazy angle on this picture (probably because you are taking it of yourself). If you go much higher, the eyelet will curve over your boob - and the effect could either make you look longer and taller as suggested above, or it could make your boobs look gigantic, and hence, a little preggers. What I might do, is before you rip, pin some of the upper part under, raising the eyelet to where you think you want it, and tkae a look see.

Good luck!

LaurieM said...

I vote for starting the eyelets sooner. Too much garter is weighing down the girls.

SpiderWomanKnits said...

Hhmmm...

I would say that you should rip back and start the eyelet sooner. I was just looking at that pattern the other day! I love your yarn/color choice.

Francesca said...

Erk. I agree too. I think the eyelet should start higher b/c right now it suggests your boobs are a little too far south.

And I never saw this pattern before, but this is a perfect sweater for you. Rock on.

Madge said...

You've probably ripped by now...but I agree. 4 rows up would lighten (is this the word I'm going for?) things up. I'm eyeballing here, but then the garter stitch bodice would hit where your sleeves are, which makes a pleasing line.

But, d*mn. Sorry you have to rip so much.

Theresa said...

I would also start sooner. Sorry :(