Saturday, October 27, 2007

Three Things

1. My brother-in-law and his family's home survived the San Diego fires in tact. Their neighborhood is messy, but still standing, making them some of the lucky ones. They wisely left town for a planned trip to Chicago to get out of the smoky air and let things settle down, but should hopefully be getting back to normal soon. Thanks so much for your messages of concern and caring.

2. I made some kind of ugly socks. I love the yarn, I love the pattern, but the pooling! Ach! The pooling! I am pretty tolerant about pooling, but these socks pooled in a pretty ugly way.

I won't be frogging them, as they are innocuous enough when worn with jeans and shoes:
Hidden under jeans, tucked into the clogs.
Maybe an occasional flash of sock when the legs are crossed...




But, and prepare yourself here, when viewed on their own, you see what I mean. The slash of green across the foot. Ewww.

Shudder!

Pattern: Undulating Ribs by Ann Budd from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Claudia's Handpainted Yarns, Donna's Favorite
Needles: Addi Lace US 1.5/2.5mm

Notes: These socks were uneventful and simple, and the yarn is just wonderful to knit, but this is the perfect example of a really pretty, autumnally neutral colorway gone bad. Luckily, the ugly part is pretty much confined to the foot, so they are totally wearable with shoes. Thanks, Claudia's, for pooling where it won't be noticed!

This is my first time using Claudia's yarn, and I am really pleased so far. Of course, I'll have to see how they hold up to wear and washing, but I am really looking forward to using the other skeins I have in the stash.

3. Nova, I don't know whether to kiss you or curse you, but my family sincerely thanks you! That's some damn good pie.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA! for your BIL and family!

they are lucky indeed; good karma was with them. scary, though...

c ya thursday!

anne marie

Bridget said...

I'm glad to hear that your family members are OK.

The socks aren't really ugly, maybe just unfortunate?

OK, the pie ... so what if it's 8:30 a.m., I could eat the whole thing!

Sally said...

I'm really really glad that Mr. S's brother and family are okay, and their house survived. That is most excellent news.

And I totally just printed that recipe.

Annie said...

I feel your pain, sister. Pooling gives me the heebie jeebies. That pie looks delicious! Perfect for drowning sock sorrows, me thinks...

Ashley said...

I gotta say, for pooling, it's not so bad. Probably because the colors are pretty muted. But they're perfect with the clogs anyway.

Glad your family came through ok!

Anonymous said...

So glad to know your family's safe. So sorry the yarn I gave you pooled! But I do think they look nice with those shoes and under the jeans. Done is done!

Anonymous said...

Great news about your BIL.

The socks aren't that bad. And, combined with that pie they could be fantastic!

Seriously...chocolate chip pie?!?!?

Kristy said...

I'm glad to hear your family is OK!

It's too bad the socks pooled, but I'm sure they're still warm and comfy. And the part that people will see looks great to me!

Mmmm, that pie looks so good. I think I might have to have some more birthday cake now :)

Octopus Knits said...

Oh, I don't mind the pooling myself, and I think they look fabulous with those shoes!

Holy cow, that's a crazy pie!

diana said...

The pattern on those socks was so pretty I didn't really notice the pooling. Claudia's is the same base yarn as Koigu, so it can go through the washer and dryer without mishap. (well, that's what I do with mine)

Chocolate chip pie. Hmmm.........

Wendy said...

I don't think they're so ugly - they have personality!

W

Anonymous said...

Yay for your family! Yum on the pie! Lovely on the socks - they aren't ugly! Cute shoes!

pamela wynne said...

glad all is well with the family. and, though there's definitely pooling there, I've definitely seen worse.

also, Want Pie.

Anonymous said...

You know, if had not mentioned it, I wouldn't have even noticed the pooling. It's the sort of "pooling" that add character, I say. And the pie...I know, right?!

Madge said...

Ack, I step away from the blog reading for a few days and look what I miss.

1. Sooo glad your California relatives survived the fires with their home intact! (We SoCalers knew with the dry weather we'd have fires, but even I, mistress of doom n gloom, have been astonished at how bad they are.)
2. Yes, you did. Sorry, but I'm with ya on the fugly. But, new socks!
3. Wow, decadence in a pie plate. Mmm.

*smoochies*

Lolly said...

I am so glad to hear that your family and their home is okay - I am so sorry to see the loss of so many others, however.

...and the socks? I don't think they are fugly at all.

Anonymous said...

Those socks aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be, though I can see how they are best enjoyed tactilly rather than visually.

I tried that pattern at one point, but I found the stitch called for at the point where you turn one stitch into three (I can't remember exactly what it is now) terribly difficult to execute, and I got awful results when I did manage to do it. I wonder if I was doing something wrong? Did you find it tricky?

melcauble said...

I think the socks are nice. But those shoes...they are fab! What are they?