Saturday, June 24, 2006

Preparing for Take Off ...

So we leave for Seattle/Vancouver Island in five days ... FIVE! Yikes! I'm most definitely NOT ready. (sleeping bags? hiking shoes? passports? do we need passports? oye ...) But my knitted things are ready! (priorities, you know) I will be visiting with one of my best friends and her family's presents are all done:

Knitted bowls from One Skein by Leigh Radford


Penobscot Scarf (from Interweave) and Double Cable Scarf (from One Skein)

The other gift is the starfish purse which I posted earlier -- that should take care of Mom, Dad, and two girls. The bowls are done in worsted weight brown sheep (I doubled the yarn and knit them on size 17 straight needles, then sewed them up rather than on 15 dpns with bulky weight). The Penobscot is done in Hemp for Knitting DK and the Double Cable is done in my new favorite yarn -- it is soooooooo incredible (I am serious, I want crates of this stuff, I mean after the SOS of course ...) -- Blue Sky Organic Cotton. The softest, most luxurious cotton ... dude, you've got to try it.

But now for the big question
I need recommendations for Yarn Stores!! Send me your favorites in Seattle, Victoria (BC), and Tofino (BC). Ask your Canadian friends and relatives, I need good souvenir yarn (it's one of my exceptions for SOSKAL, you know!).

It will be nice to get out of the US for a bit, visit our friendly, more peaceful neighbors to the North. Maybe I'll find some good options for watching the World Cup (it's hard to be a big soccer fan when you don't have cable, there only so many times I can take the kids to a sports bar at 9 in the morning ...).

Send me your Yarn Shop referrals!!!

8 comments:

Liz K. said...

Have a great time! You really are getting a lot of mileage out of One Skein -- I need to start trying some of the patterns in that. I still have 3 skeins of the Blue Sky Cotton to knit up.

Can't wait to see what souvenir yarn you bring home.

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

http://www.beehivewool.com/
This is the address of the Beehive Wool Shop in Victoria. It is a wonderful shop and carries Fleece Artist from Nova Scotia and Sea Silk! The Sea Silk is a beautiful yarn made from silk and cellulose from sea weed. It is not cheap, but I need some, even if it is only to make a scarf. The feel and drape of it is wonderful. I live half way up the Island at Comox. We have gone a few years to Ocean Village Resort on MacKenzie Beach at Tofino. Wonderful spot - very quaint, but a yarn shop I never saw!! Have fun and do lots of beach walking and shell and stone collecting.

Ann said...

Thank you Peg! I can't wait to check out the Sea Silk! It sounds wonderful!!

Martina said...

I love the one skein bowls!! Have a great vacation and happy yarn finding!!

Dorothy said...

You'll love Vancouver Island. It is beautiful. There's more emphasis on an active, outdoor lifestyle so it may be difficult to find yarn stores outside of Victoria. If you're up for a drive about, you could go to Nanimo. I have an Aunt and Uncle there and they say it is a very beautiful city.

Ann said...

Dorothy, I've been to Nanaimo! It is beautiful and we're planning on driving there at some point on our trip -- I can't wait to explore that awesome coastline ...

Mo said...

What lovely gifts ... have a great, great time. BTW, about a month ago I tried to catch up with your knitting group when I had some extra time on a Wednesday, but the coffee shop was GONE! Did you find a new spot?

Ann said...

Alas, we are a roving band of merry knitters -- meeting mostly at the Farmer's Market during the summers, but that's not always the perfect knitting spot ...