Monday, April 09, 2007

A Foot of Foot

I did not just frog a pair of socks this week. I also knit a pair of socks this week.



These socks are for Mr. S. Basic garter rib from the toe up with a Widdershins heel flap. I know, as usual.

Regular readers know that this is usually the place where I complain about knitting things for my Mr S since he is so damn big. His size 13 feet are no exception.


His & Hers

But I have no complaints about these socks, since I knit these in less than 10 days. I cast on for the second sock at Sit N Knit on Wednesday and finished by Saturday afternoon.



Ignore the weird hump on the instep. They bunched a bit in his shoes.

Meet my new favorite man sock yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot, knit on US3 Inox circs. These were an unmitigated pleasure to knit, from the subtle color variegation (this colorway is Steelhead) to the soft feel of the yarn. I didn't even mind my nose tickling from the mohair. They'd be a little thick for me, but for a warm, thick wool sock, this yarn is great. Look for reports for wear as Mr S puts them to good use.


Mr S loves handknit socks, and has been very excited to receive his latest pair. And now that I have discovered this yarn, he will be receiving more, for sure. His father has also requested a pair.

Next up on the sock needles is a pair of socks for Pepe, the only one in our little family without handknit socks of his own.

ETA: I need some advice. My SIL wants a lace shawl similar to Icarus. She likes the mostly stockinette body of the shawl, with a lacy border, rather than an all-over lace pattern. I'd like to knit it in laceweight, as she really liked the weight and feel of the yarn. Any suggestions, anyone? I am willing to purchase a pattern or book for the right one. I do not have a large library of lace patterns, so I could use some guidance.

5 comments:

Ann said...

The socks look great! Now about the shawl ... I know it's an all over lace pattern, but how about the lace leaf shawl? It's not too fussy and it is soooo beautiful! (and I've been hungering to make it ...)

Mo said...

Yummy socks! The Victorian Lace book has lots great patterns that will keep you busy for long time to come.

Anonymous said...

So, I tried to post a comment and it might have screwed up. Or it might not have and I will have two comments in a row. Long story short, the socks look great (did they take one skein or two?) and I don't have any great suggestions for the shawl (aside from maybe picking a shawl with a lacy border you like and just knitting the rest in stockinette with maybe the lace pattern going up the center back only?).

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about lace. Check out Victorian Lace Today? Love the socks; I'm a huge fan of that ribbing. I used it on a pair for my dad.

KnitPastis said...

I love the socks! I bet he asks for another pair:)

I feel the same on the shawl. I would rather have more of a knitted one and maybe a lace edging. I will have to check back on your blog to see which one you decide on for her.