Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Whimsies

I've casually mentioned that I have been on a yarn diet in anticipation of MDSW, and I am pleased to say that since my self-imposed hiatus at the beginning of February, my stash has grown by only 4 skeins of yarn. I purchased one extra ball of Rowan Denim to allow for fearlessly ample swatching for my Create-Along cami (more on that this week, I hope), one skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot, and received these two beauties in the mail from Minty.


Now, admittedly, I feasted on yarn in December and January, and my stash downright exploded, but I am pleased to say that much of that yarn has already been knit: Cascade 220 CPH, the Alpaca with a Twist, the Vesper and Bearfoot. But I love these periods of famine to allow me to rediscover hidden gems and long-forgotten yarns. They stretch my creativity and give me a feeling of endless resourcefulness, by choosing projects from what I have on hand.

Thus, my latest FO, from what I think might be among the oldest yarn in my stash.

Some oddball of jacquard sock yarn (I'd guess Regia) produced this pair of socks for my Pepe. This yarn was bought long enough ago that I (1) did not know that I would need two balls of sock yarn to knit adult socks and (2) actually threw out the label. I think I ordered it from Herrschners over 4 years ago.

He calls them Season Socks, and he claims their season is winter. A good thing, too, since we woke this morning to snow.


So I find myself without a major project on the needles, but with lots of little things to satisfy my urge to create and keep the stash rotating. Expect to see a bunch more little whimsies from me while I search for the next lace shawl and the next sweater for myself. Something spring-y. That is, if Spring will ever truly arrive...

14 comments:

Lolly said...

That Minty :) Lovely new skeins, and the socks are cute too! He needs them now until this nasty weather clears up and we actually get some spring...

Annie said...

Great socks! As great as it is to receive new yarn, there is something wonderfully satisfying about eating up stash and producing finished garments!

Anonymous said...

The socks are great!

Oh, and the yarn is Regia Multi Effekt. I made a pair of fingerless gloves out of a different colorway almost 3 years ago! It's a great yarn for a boy -- very hard wearing. I've used mine while carrying and hanging drywall, and just dropped them in the washer and dryer and they did really well.

Congrats on the yarn diet. I haven't been quite as good as you, but still better than I normally am ;)

Anonymous said...

What a perfect way to use up sock yarn in the stash, little boys' feet need socks! I should knit some for my little guy too!

Liz said...

I knew a commenter would know what yarn that is. Season Socks... very clever. :)

LaurieM said...

Oh they are very cute socks. I like the little stripey action going on in there.

I've resurrected a 3-year old project that stunned me with it's beauty when I first started it, but now all I can think while working on it is that my needles are "barfing rainbows". Funny how time changes us.

Ann said...

Great socks and good job on the yarn diet! I can't wait to witness "knitters gone wild" at MDSW ...

And remember ... you must believe in spring ...

Mo said...

Love those cute little feet. Nice socks, too.

HPNY KNITS said...

I love the socks. I recently made my son socks from leftover yarn and he loves them

iSeL said...

Lovely Claudia's! I wish I could boast about not buying yarn. I think it's been quite the opposite around here lately. :D

Knitting gets the official seal of coolness once your kids get excited about it. Very cool socks.

Anonymous said...

i love that colorway!

Anonymous said...

Cute socks on your little guy! I do like that Claudia's too!

SpiderWomanKnits said...

Love the little cutie pie socks :-)

Isn't it great when kids name their hand knits?! My son does that a lot, he calls the socks I just knit for him his "ocean socks". That kind of stuff never happens when they pull on their Hanes cotton crews. Knitting inspires...

nicolina said...

i'm hoping to knit up some socks with that claudia yarn as well. let me know how it works out for you. and of course, delish socks!