Friday, December 28, 2007

Clean Slate 2008

It has been the joy of family and the magic of Christmas with young children that has kept me from blogging. I did have a wonderfully blessed Christmas with my family and with Mr S's, and Santa was very good to all of us this year. And while I truly did read many of your wonderful Christmas messages and received all your wonderful wishes with a warm heart, I was just to busy to leave many comments on anyone else's blog. I do hope all of you had a lovely Christmas!

I don't know why I care, but I decided to try to finish all of the WIPs before the new year begins. I am generally not one to leave projects to linger, and am fairly disciplined about finishing or frogging. I have a lot of projects in the queue ready to be cast on, but I decided to just focus my energies for a couple of weeks to finish up, and I think I am going to reach my goal. My current sweater (which I haven't even mentioned on the blog) has about a quarter of the sleeve to go, my colorwork mittens are blocking, and my longest lingering project ever, my New England socks, are finally done!

Pattern: New England socks by Nancy Bush from Knitting on the Road
Yarn and Needles: Koigu KPM, Knit Picks US 1.5 (2.5mm) circular

Notes: These socks were my quiet vacation knitting, sitting on the front porch of our cabin in the Maine woods. They were a part of my summer dalliance with Nancy Bush, and the final remnant of my flirtation with the Single Sock Liberation Movement.

I got through the first sock this summer, but when I first made the second sock, I noticed I had gauge issues when I was about 80% finished. I had swapped out my Knit Picks 1.5 needle for my Addi Lace 1.5, and it really did make a noticeable difference in my gauge. These socks are not difficult to knit, but they do require you to refer to the chart for every other row, so it took my Clean Slate Resolution to muster up the urge to finally finish them. It's my first highly patterned sock pattern, and I'm not sure if you'll see many more in my future. I like to knit socks because they are portable and mindless, and these socks were neither.

They are a little bigger than I prefer, but I hope a few washes will shrink them slightly. I'll give you an update in 2008, for a newly planned feature on the blog, where I'll post updates and wear reports on various knitting projects.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

Yay for updates and wear reports - on Tuesdays, perhaps?

And congrats on cleaning the slate. I was pretty much there, so I cast on for some new big projects. I'm feeling like it's January already, I guess :)

Anonymous said...

happy happy great 2008 to all the XRK writers!

missed you, liz, at rosemary's house on wed. (sigh)

but the sox rock!

Sally said...

Yay for socks!

Can't wait to see the sweater. We need to get together, and soon!

Madge said...

Here's to clean slates, finished projects and a new year!

Pretty socks. They may have been less than ideal summer knitting, but they turned out loverly. Looking forward to seeing them again later in 2008.

And golly, we think alike sometimes...I've been trying to finish off projects, too. To that end, I have everything done except two; one won't even come close, but I'm feverishly working on my Gothic Leaf Stole and hope to have it done by the end of January. Better get back to it!

savannahchik said...

what an awesome way to start the new year!

wishing you lots of health, happiness and knitterly goodness in 2008 (and perhaps a real, official meetup for us too?)

SpiderWomanKnits said...

Funny. I was just thinking yesterday about the New Year and have been entertaining the idea of knitting entirely from my stash in '08. Knitters! Other people are freaking out about silly things like their weight, personal growth, organizing their lives...blah blah blah...

Lolly said...

They are so lovely! and good for you with the clean slate! I had high hopes for myself, but in a moment of weakness (and necessity, actually) I cast on for an afghan - and yeah, there is no way to go clean slate on an afghan :)

Happy New Year!!