Monday, December 31, 2007

Party More!

I can't say my slate is exactly clean; I'm having some neckline issues with my laceweight sweater, but still, I am content with my year's worth of knits.

Here's the final FO for 2007, then, Herringbone Mitts from Elliphantom.

I used Cascade 220 in cream and a tweedy brown and size 6 needles. This is my second attempt at colorwork, and this was the time that it clicked! I think the colorwork bug has bitten me badly, so look for more stranded goodness here at XRK in 2008. In fact, I've even begun major swatching for the next big project, the Sugarplum Pullover (Ravelry link) from Handknit Holidays.

Many New Year's Eve's ago, my family was celebrating together, and we made a series of lists: the 5 best things that happened to us that year, the 5 worst things that happened to us that year, and 5 New Year's Resolutions. It was the one and only year we made such lists, but there was one resolution I remember vividly. It was my sister-in-law, a senior in college, who resolved to "Party More!"

Party. More! I loved it. And I instantly adopted it as a go-to resolution. Now, as a thirty six year old mother of two, partying means something different than my then college-aged sister-in-law, but I love the attitude of wanting more celebration in life. So I resolve to Party More in my life, to celebrate life's precious moments more in 2008, and to look for ways to add more joy to my life and the life of my family.

Knitting remains a joy and a passion, and one of the ways I truly do party in my life. I resist rules and structure in my knitting, and allow whimsy to be my guide. I'll continue to follow the spirit of my inspirations this year, and knit what pleases me with yarn I love.

So from Ann, Mo, and me, we here and XRK wish you a Very Happy New Year and urge you to Party More too!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that resolution Liz! I really need to "party more" in '08. LOVE the mitts!

Theresa said...

If all resolutions were that fun, we'd always keep them!

Bridget said...

When I lived at home, during college, the middle-aged paunchy guy who was our trash collector had a t-shirt that said, "Party 'til you puke!" So I've tried ...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

"you gotta fight, for your right, to parrrrrrrrrrrr-tay!"

damn straight!

Elinor said...

I love your mittens! I simply must cast on for a pair myself! Good luck with your resolution in 2008! Yours is the first reasonable resolution I've seen out there in blogland. All these 'I will knit from my stash' and 'I will finish all my UFOs' will never make it!

Madge said...

However you choose to, I heartily endorse partying more. Happy 2008, XRKers!

P.S. I never comment about word verifications, but mine this time is "pesky." It's what I call my gauge swatches when they lie to me....heh.

Ann said...

Don't you just love the magic of colorwork? The mitts look incredible! I'd be wearing them constantly and waving them in people's faces -- shouting "I made these!"

As your friend and blogpartner, I will do my utmost to support you in your resolutions. (The sacrifices I make ...)

Anonymous said...

Golly. I must have fulfilled that resolution, and done so well that I plum forgot even making it! Party on sis! (And nice work on the mittens of course)

Mo said...

Party more? Okay! Happy New Year!

tiennieknits said...

Happy New Year Liz!