Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Oh Canada!

What a trip we had! The San Juan Islands were magnificant, the weather was perfect, the hiking extraordinary, and Vancouver Island was superlative. If those durn Republicans win the White House next time, our little family is going to try to relocate north of the 49th parallel. Incredibly wonderful people, more sensible government, great parks, and breath-taking scenery (okay, the winters are a pain, but there is the western coast ...).

But on to the travel knitting and yarn ...

I forgot to pack my 2nd skein of Fortissima Colori Sock Yarn, so after the first sock was finished ...

I picked up some Trekking on Orcas Island. Poppies in Eastsound is a great yarn store, formerly a fabric store. I also bought some Lamb's Pride there to teach our friends how to fingerknit, the shopowner was thrilled that I was creating converts to the knitting way. We stayed at Doe Bay Resort, camping out in our rented VW camper. We loved it!

This trip did it to me. I am now a sock knitter. I love the sock. But it wasn't all sock knitting, here was how most of my time was spent ...

Then we travelled to Vancouver Island and up to Tofino ...

Where I found a great natural fiber store, Fiber Options Naturals. I bought some organic cotton pants and some hemp yarn. The yarn is not as nice as the AllHemp, however, it was cheap and will make a great sweater for Rosie ...

Tofino was just as we remembered it from eleven years ago, only better. The wildlife was incredible and just look at our sunsets ...

Then we headed down to Victoria. Here is where I would like to live. We did the touristy thing, hung out at the inner harbor, had high tea at the Empress, but then I heeded Peg's advice and visited Beehive Wool Shop. And discovered Fleece Artist and Handmaiden Yarn. This stuff is spun gold people. I bought some of their Sea Silk and Silken 100% Silk. Thanks Peg!!


The Sea Silk is made from Silk and Seaweed. Seaweed, my friends! It actually smells like the sea (or a really nice sushi dinner). I love it, love it, love it. I take it out and look at it often. I was told that you can't get Handmaiden Yarns in the US. If that is true, then I will be having this stuff shipped. It's not cheap, but it is phenomenal.

And not to let ourselves rest for even a moment, we are off to the DC area tonight to see Amadou & Mariam perform at the Birchmere -- I can't wait!

11 comments:

Liz K. said...

Welcome back!

Damn, did you do some serious Canadian Stash Enhancement...I can't wait to see what you do with the fleece artist stuff. I think Rosie's Yarn Cellar is going to stock this locally, but it is hard to come by.

And welcome to the sock knitters cult!

Tania A said...

As if I didn't want more to try the sea silk .. telling me it smells of the sea has made me covet the Sea Silk even more! Aaaaugh.!

Sounds like you had a glorious vacation though. Good for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a great time and welcome back!

I have been lusting after some HandMaiden for a while now. Isn't it just lovely? I look forward to seeing what you knit up with the Hemp yarn too. No fuss with that label, eh?

The scenery looks so beautiful. I don't blame you for contemplating a move, my husband and I had the same reaction after this last election :-)

Anonymous said...

I bought some Sea Silk in Portland, Oregon, a couple of weeks ago. Maybe Handmaiden's not in a lot of shops, but it is here in the good ol' U. S. of A.

Dorothy said...

Handmaiden yarns are coveted everywhere! If Beehive won't ship, you could always check out Lettuce Knit in Toronto, ON and see if they will.
Vancouver is a beautiful spot and the winters really aren't that bad in Victoria.

aija said...

Mm, I love your smell description of the seasilk! :)

Anonymous said...

ah, the birchmere....such happy memories of concerts there (both old AND new locations).

we have nothing like that up here in the philly burbs. and we miss that aspect of our lives.

to ensure that the next elections do not suck, we need to get up off our asses and VOTE!

anne marie

Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Glad you enjoyed the Island. Isn't Sea Silk to die for? I am off to NS, where Fleece Artist is located, and I plan to bring some back as a memory of my trip back home for my nursing school reunion - 45 years!

Ann said...

Have a great time in Nova Scotia Peg! Ah, the land of Fleece Artist ...

Thanks again for the great tip ...

Anonymous said...

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/15017031.htm

here is a link to the artists you saw at the birchmere last night.

they are appearing here in town tonight at the kimmel center in center city philly.

sweet!

anne marie in philly

Hannah said...

Sounds like a lovely trip! I cannot wait to try the sea silk.