Thursday, October 26, 2006

Preparing for the Pumpkin Chaos

Here at the BackBou/XRK Richmond Outpost, things have been just a bit wacky. Downright nutsy-cuckoo. In the midst of volunteer committments (I swore I never would be the overscheduled insane mom, but here I am) and a birthday for the BackBou (who has not lost his password, but just can't find the time to blog ... what's up with that?), we are getting ready for our annual Pumpkin Carving Party.

The Pumpkin Carving Party is a huge affair and this year we're expecting over 150 people. What are we thinking? Well, I just don't know. Except that the BackBou used to work in busy restaurants serving between 150-200 a night and I used to work for a catering company. We never seem to realize that doing this in our own home by ourselves is distinctly, terrifyingly different. And then there are all those very sharp carving tools.

The BackBou prepares to carmelize some onions

But everyone seems to have a great time and the BackBou's pizza is really phenomenal. My lifeline this week has been to keep the music loud and make lots of tiny lists of things to do and paste them up around the house (sweep off the patio, paint the newel post, buy more beer, hide all the domestic detritus in the study and close the door, buy more beer, make dough, find the carving tools, buy more beer ...).

My Zepherine Droughin Rose is putting on her best for the party

Despite the whirlwind of party prep, I was able to knit up another newborn present (commissioned by a friend) in the delicious Blue Sky Organic Cotton.

Umbella Hat from One Skein

Looking Ahead ...
After two years of swearing that she doesn't want any knitted items from me, my mother has requested a pair of socks for Christmas. I am so thrilled!!! She has never in her life had socks that fit. She wears a size 10 1/2 shoe. When she saw my last pair of socks, how they hugged every unique curve of my foot, she was really beside herself. So ...

I need to knit my mother the most luxurious socks ever. I'm having her measure every inch of her foot. I am tempted to buy some Lorna's Laces (Liz, those Embossed Leaves socks may be perfect for my mom). Dearest readers, what is your favorite sock yarn? The most scrumptious foot dressing you have ever encountered? My mother needs only the best, so send me your recommendations!

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Koigu and Lornas Laces. Although there are many sock yarns I have yet to try. I didn't find either of these yarns to be splitty and they hold up well.

HPNY KNITS said...

this week i have worn a pair of hand knit socks everyday since Sat (finally cold enough in NYC).
best feeling on the feet and in the shoes are Koigu and Sundara's yarn. very very luxurious and great color selection for both. they both also get washed in the gentle cycle in a mesh bag in the machine- so easy care (NO dryer)

Liz K. said...

Koigu, Lorna's Laces and Socks that Rock are my favorites so far. Koigu and Socks that Rock are very similar in texture, but the Lorna's Laces is utterly swoon-worthy.

I am feeling very homesick for the Pumpkin Carving Party, and you and the Back Bou and the whole Richmond gang. Kisses to everyone.

Angelika said...

You lost me there, when you mentioned beer three times.