Monday, August 14, 2006

Back Home in Richmond

Here we go again ... the first time I tried posting this, the electricians who are busily trying to finish up in the kitchen cut off the power to the computer ... doh ... goodbye pictures, goodbye text ... Then the pictures wouldn't upload. And wouldn't upload. And wouldn't upload. So forgive the random placement of the photos.

A Very Vermont Vacation
We had a wonderful time with the BackBou's folks in Vermont. Hiking part of the Long Trail, eating lots of good food here and here, and spending a day putzing around Middlebury listening to all the various languages during their summer language institute. It was cool and clear. The opposite of Richmond in August (although yesterday was a good attempt at some Vermont weather). And the yarn ... yarn is not scarce in the Green Mountain State and it was all I could do not to spend hundreds of dollars a day on my SosKAL exception. (As the BackBou often remarked, "Summer of Stash, my ass.")

First I hit Vermont Beads and Fiber in Middlebury. I emerged with some Cherry Tree Hill roving for needle felting, some Laughing Tree Farm 2 ply (60% Mohair, 40% Merino), and some Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn. The Laughing Tree Farm yarn is so incredible ... hand dyed and as they say on the label, "with a luxurious, soft hand." Yummy.


I resisted many other yarn opportunities until I happened upon the booth for Sterling Brook Farm at the Waterbury Farmer's Market. The owner sells Lamb Meat (deep vegetarian sigh) and what she calls "byproducts" -- yarn, composted sheep manure, etc. I decided to honor the spirit of her departed sheep by buying 3 skeins of her worsted weight -- a blend of wool from her sheep and the merino goats of her neighbor.

I was then safe until ... cue the Jaws style music ... I hit Yarnings with Liz.

Yearnings Fulfilled
I confess, I confess, I confess. This was too much to resist. And there was no way I was going down alone, I took Liz with me. Big time. You've seen the picture, you know about the sale ... I mean really, 40% off. Puhleeze. You think we weren't buying? Oh we were buying. I lay claim to the Mission Falls and 2 hanks of the Claudia's. I do need to say what a fantastic yarn shop Yarnings is. It's in a beautiful house and I felt like the rooms filled with yarn just never ended. The walls of yarn ... it was a dream.



In addition to the stash listed in Liz's post, I also bought a needle felting kit. I cannot wait to try some needle felting. I am not sure how hard it will be and do not know anyone who has done it before, but I'm game. I think I'll hold off until school starts, I don't trust myself with all the construction chaos and the kid chaos to keep track of those little barbed needles.


BTW, this is what our living room looked like upon our return, almost done with the painting but not quite yet. Next week I hope to post some prettier pictures of our house!

Warning: Socks and Sandals Ahead
I did manage to finish this pair of socks (gifted to my MIL) and I made much progress on the stole (now on the 6th skein out of 9).



Yarn: Trekking XXL (color 28)
Needles: US 2s
Pattern: Baby Cable Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks
Notes: I would not use this yarn for this pattern. The colors of the yarn make the cables disappear. After talking with Liz, I think I'll try using reverse stockinette on the heel for a bit more cushion.

And please note how very Vermont they look with the Sandals ...

4 comments:

Liz K. said...

I have to say, I think the Trekking sock looks lovely with the hiking sandal, no matter what my sister says!

I have been petting the lovely Vermont yarn you brought, imagining what I should do with it.

What a wonderful visit!

Anonymous said...

if you're looking for a more cushy heel, i'd suggest you try a garter stitch heel. i've done it on one pair of socks and i love it!

Dorothy said...

Now that is a haul!!

Socks like that deserve to be shown off. What better way to get everyone to look at your feet than to wear socks and sandals?

RUTH HUNTER said...

I didn't know there were people that were as crazy about yarn as I am. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. I can be so short of money I can barely eat and I still will spend money on yarn.