Sunday, August 13, 2006

We Fell. Hard.

Or,

"Is Summer over already?"*


This weekend was among one of the best I've had in a long time, because I spent most of it in the presence of my dear Ann and her incredible family. We had meals prepared by the Back Bou himself, and got to watch our children play together, the oldest pair and youngest pair being perfect playmates, all the while knitting and talking and enjoying the most glorious weather in these soulless Philadelphia suburbs where I now make my home.

And we encountered a yarn sale.

And we fell off the Summer of Stash wagon very very hard.

On Saturday, after going to the Lancaster County Farmer's Market in Wayne, PA in search of provisions for our meal and blog-fodder for the BB, Ann and I went to lunch in Skippack, PA, the location of my LYS, Yarnings. I have not been to Yarnings since before the Summer of Stash began, since it is the source of much temptation. But the cafe was right across the street, and the Yarnings parking lot had many spaces...it just happened.

I was considering perhaps just one lone ball of Cashmerino Aran for those Fetching things, just one little purchase to get me through until Labor Day.

Yarnings was having a yarn-by-the-bag sale. And Ann was on vacation which was her exception. And since I was with Ann, I was on HER vacation, so I get an exception for that, right?

Oh, friends, it was ugly.


This is both Ann's and Liz's yarn. There's a bag of Mission Falls 1824 wool, a bag of KFI Cashmereno, 4 hanks of Claudia's Handpaint, a bag of Noro Lily multi, two skeins Artful Yarns Jazz, and the ball of Cashmerino Aran I intended to buy. Let me assure you, Ann has more to confess from her travels in Vermont.


Or beautiful, if you really like yarn shopping with your dear friend who you miss terribly. The only thing missing was Mo. And didn't I hear something about a sale in your LYS, Lettuce Knit in Richmond? Do you have some confessing to do, too, my dear?


* Mr. S's exact quote upon seeing the shopping bags and our sheepish expressions.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a woman's perogative to change her mind...or bend the rules a bit.

I prefer to call them "loopholes".

Looks like a fantastic way to spend your weekend!

gray la gran said...

you know i won't be casting any stones (wouldn't want to hurt the yarn)! it's been a long hot summer. i think we should pat our backs for all the other yarns we have passed up on because of the diet.
at least you fell into some good yarn, vs. falling for a bag of redheart!
enjoy it!

Tania A said...

You won't hear any chiding from me, since I ended up buying -three- sock yarns when I went buying for one of my swap partners, but only one of them is going to her. And I have been cheating a little along by having my knitting partner-in-crime buy me balls of cotton (PnC and SnC) if I needed it for a project.

It's lovely, beautiful yarn, and I'm immensely jealous, and -very- glad that I soon will have income of my own to supplement hubbys and that I will then be able to aford better yarns!

aija said...

Wow, at least you fell *well*! :)

Ann said...

What a superlative weekend! Liz, you were the hostess with the mostess -- we all had a great time! We had a fast trip back this morning (4 hours and 10 minutes with one stop) and now I am unwrapping my yummy vacation yarn. Hey now, it was my exception after all ...

iSeL said...

Ugly? More like beautiful!
Welcome back to being alive. :P

Going to any yarn store with other knitters always spells trouble...

Anonymous said...

perhaps it was something you ate at mal's or justin's that caused you to stray.......

or perhaps the yarn harpies were in the shop windows calling to you (oh liz, oh ann, come over to the dark side...).......

who the hell cares!

you girls got some GREAT yarn!

can't wait to see what y'all do with it.

this was a spectacular philly weekend - hope you had a good time, ann. and yes, we DO have soul (hall & oates, our blue eyed soul boys) LOL.

anne marie

Spinner said...

Totally beautiful yarn and hey, you were on VACATION. Definitely doesn't count. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

uhm...you're not the only one who broke the SoS this weekend. confession to follow...

Hannah said...

I hope ogling this gorgeous yarn will help me avoid buying more yarn of my own....

Anonymous said...

Whew. I feel a little better now about my "incident". Mine happended when I went with a friend too to my LYS too. It's hard. Real hard. I hear ya sister.

But it felt so good didn't it ;-)