Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Stole is Finished


Well, it was a lovely project. What began as a way to grieve my dear friend's terrible loss ended as an ode to her strength and courage. She is truly a beautiful person and I hope this stole wraps her in love and protection.

Pattern: Nora's Stole by Lisa Knits. Profits are donated to an organization to raise awareness and education about ovarian cancer.
Yarn: Jo Sharp Soho Summer DK Cotton, Currant
Needles: Addi Turbo US6s and Aero Bernat US5s (more on those later)
Notes: This was a great first big lace project for me. (Thanks for the advice from Melanie at The Yarn Lounge!) The pattern was easy and the DK weight cotton with the Addis was a dream.

Although I thought I was going to be a skein short, it worked out great and blocked to measurements (21" x 60", actually the pattern suggested 20"). I had no problems blocking thanks to the great suggestions from Liz, Jane, and Martha. I pinned it to my bed and lightly ironed it over a sheet.

Unfortunately, I attempted to steam it at first, but ended up showering the stole with dried, white flakes -- I'm assuming mineral deposits. It took a bit, but I brushed those off. I was timid with the blocking, but I'm feeling better about it in general and will go back and maybe block some older items.

When I got to the end and switched to my US5s, I thought, hmm, I don't remember knitting with these needles at the beginning. Oh well, nevermind. When I finished binding off I saw that indeed, I hadn't used those needles at the beginning. I had just started with my US6s. DOH! So one border is beautiful -- the other, a bit looser. Oh well, the blocking definitely helped!

I contemplated undoing the end and knitting in 6s so they would match, but the stole seemed to be about how imperfect life is and how really that's what make each of us such unique jewels -- our imperfection.

My meditation for my friend:
May you be happy. May you be well. May you be peaceful. May you be joyful.


A Final Note

The brilliant and inspiring Egyptian writer Naguib Mahfouz died today. If you have never read his books please do. He will be missed.

6 comments:

Jamie C. said...

It is gorgeous and insipring. Beautiful work!

Martina said...

The shawl is beautiful! I love the "imperfection" that was left! I think your friend is lucky to have you as a friend.

Liz K. said...

Ann, I would use the same meditation for you. What a beautiful finished object. I can't wait to see your further adventures in lace.

Dorothy said...

Great job on the Stole. It's beautiful.

aija said...

Lovely stole, and a great idea to wrap your friend in warmth.

kt said...

It's a beauty.